1896 Rudge-Wedge No 21 Full Roadster
Harry Rudge was the eldest son of Daniel Rudge, who founded Rudge cycles. In 1891, he joined Mr. C. Wedge to form Rudge Wedge & Co. They set up a cycle works at Pelham Street, and in 1902 moved to new works in Mander Street. They also built a few motorcycles, but decided to concentrate solely on building pedal bicycles. Many of their products were supplied to the trade with their own or customer’s transfers and large numbers of their machines were exported to the colonies.eros non posuere.
The following article is from an edition of the South Staffordshire Illustrated, and includes an excellent description of the company.
RUDGE, WEDGE & CO., LIMITED,
Manufacturers of “RUDGE-WEDGE CYCLES,”
Registered Office: Pelham Street, WOLVERHAMPTON.
LONDON DEPOT : 52 Fore Street, E.C.
Telegrams-” RUDGE-WEDGE, WOLVERHAMPTON.” Telephone-7,266, Wolverhampton.
“OBLIQUELY, LONDON” London, 5,541 (Bank).
There are few names that have achieved a higher standing in the cycle trade than that of the Rudge family, whose members have for years past been prominently identified with most of the improvements in construction of the celebrated cycles, which have attained such world wide popularity. One of the founders of the business to which our notice applies, Mr. H. Rudge, is the eldest son of the late Dan Rudge – inventor and patentee of the now universal ball bearings, and maker of the original ” Rudge ” bicycles – and in conjunction with some well-known local gentlemen of influence established the firm of Rudge, Wedge & Co., Limited, in 1891.